Saturday 28 January 2012

Photography...

It's been a little while since my last post, so firstly, hello! Unfortunately my drawings didn't win the What Is Love competition, but I'm working on improving them and hopefully I can launch them myself as prints and cards in the near future!

I've recently treated myself to a new camera (the boyfriend handily stood on and broke the last - but I was secretly happy about the fact we had the perfect excuse for a new one!), so I've been happily snapping away this last week. One subject I never tire of capturing is flowers. I love the final images, they're so bright and inviting.







We went for a little trip to Oxford last weekend, so I took the opportunity to take some architecture photographs, another beautiful subject matter. (I always find architecture fascinating and believe buildings can really bring something special to a place - I could spend ages gazing, snapping and drawing an interesting structure).





The final image in Oxford (above) reminded me of my holiday in Venice - the closeness, how unique each building is and those beautiful colours. Below are some of my favourites.






And, of course, I can't get excited about buildings without mentioning my trip to Tokyo. The vibrancy, the height, the lines and the excitement of the landscape there was incredible and completely different from the aforementioned.



And, finally, Kyoto! Just as stunning but a stark contrast from Tokyo. I love how intricate these are. It really is a very magical place. I can't wait to go back and see more!






I've decided I want to illustrate some of these photographs, both the flowers and buildings. I love illustrating people and fashion but I also love experimenting and working on something completely different. I think it helps keep work fresh and interesting, as well as allowing me to translate my way of working into new subject matter. I think it definitely helps someone's decision when commissioning you too. I remember a tutor at uni once told me - if someone wants a drawing of a spoon, they want to know you can draw a spoon. You may be a brilliant illustrator but they may not be able to envisage your style working with that subject. So draw anything and everything - I love that!

So you may see some of these come to life as drawings very soon! Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I won't leave my next post as long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know your thoughts! I read and appreciate every comment I receive.