Monday 12 November 2012

Drawing Mr Nicolini!



Hello! I'm here to share an idea for a new
blog with you all and hope some of you will be able to help me make this little dream a reality!

Mr Nicolini, or Nick as he's known to most, came to live with my parents more than thirty years ago. He's been a lodger with my family since then and is still living with my mum and feeding the cats to this day. He soon become another Grandad, and an extremely important member of our immediate family. Whenever I go home he spoils me as much as ever and proudly tells those we meet I'm his granddaughter. Hearing him speak so fondly of me, my sisters and brother fills me with happiness. He's a giant part of our lives and I love him dearly.

When I return home, I always take photographs of him (he's quite the character!). After posting an image on Instagram and saying how much I'd love to illustrate him, it was suggested that I start a blog, sharing illustrations of him by myself and lots of other wonderful illustrators. I think it's a great idea! Of course, if you're not an illustrator but a creative who would still like to join in, I would love to hear your ideas! He's battling illness at the moment and getting frail, and, as you can imagine, this terrifies me. I think this is a great way to not only honour his fantastic nature, but to make sure he is always remembered and never forgotten. Who knows, maybe we can make him a little bit famous.

It would be great to have a mix of different styles! I think he'd love it! I know illustrating the elderly has always been a favourite of mine and if you'd like to get involved in this little venture please get in contact! I'm not sure of the exact details, but I think 'Drawing Mr Nicolini' (the name may change, suggestions are welcome!) could be a fun way of getting lots of fantastic illustrators together, both new and more established illustrators in the same place. I love seeing participation blogs! You can leave a message here, tweet me, facebook me or send me an email to drawingmrnicolini@gmail.com.

And here are a few photos!!
 




And don't worry, if I struggle to find participants, I'll do an illustration a week myself! To honour him and have something to keep, if nothing else :) I would also like to thank Scarlett Tierney for suggesting this! I look forward to seeing her contribution once it's up and running!

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! I'd be happy to take part. I'm not an illustrator per se, but I do love arty things and am always looking for new inspirations for subjects- and a story as lovely as this seems just the ticket. There's an art tag on my blog for a couple of examples of stuff I've done recently- http://charlottenichols.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/art

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a moving and sweet idea. I am a new illustrator and I would love to be a part of this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! You both have great work and would love you to be involved! I've added you to my emailing list and will be in contact when I have more details :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story warms my heart. It's so nice to hear that he's become a family member :') If it wasn't for the kindness of your family he could have been a very lonely man.

    I think your idea is fantastic! I'm not a professional but I would love to take part! It will be so nice for him :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea and such a wonderful story!
    I'd love to be part of this. Just from those few photos, I think he'd be amazing to illustrate- such an expressive face!

    http://staceywhiteillustration.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a lovely idea. I just graduated from university and would love to take part :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would love to take part in this!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know your thoughts! I read and appreciate every comment I receive.